Cabin Fever Anyone?

For anyone watching the weather channel (or living along the mid-Atlantic region), you know that we've had record rainfall in the past couple days.  We used to have a drainage ditch alongside our house, now we have a small river.  Seriously, I could float Reagan down the "river" in her whale bathtub...but Jason won't let me.

Ok, back on topic: I have a mild case of cabin fever.  On Tuesday, I baked zucchini bread using the giant zucchini.  Now the recipe calls for 2 cups of shredded zucchini for which it suggests using 3-4 mid-size zucchinis.  My giant zucchini not only yielded 1/4 of its mass for fried zucchini sticks on Monday night, but I used the rest of it to create the required amount of shredded zucchini for my bread!  That's one heck of a vegetable!

I started by preheating the oven to 325 and greasing and flouring 2 8x4-in loaf pans. 


Then I mixed the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.


Next, I beat the eggs until light and frothy, and mixed in the vegetable oil and sugar.


I stirred in my shredded zucchini (looks like a lemon-lime slushy to me) and vanilla.  And then added the dry ingredients.  


Finally, I separated the batter evenly into 2 pans and baked for 65 minutes.  


End result: delicious zucchini bread!

Ok, so I've already mentioned that fall is my favorite season for a myriad of reasons.  I forgot to mention another - very important - reason: readily available canned pumpkin!  


Yesterday, I took advantage of this fall perk and made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  Now I can't remember for sure, but I think I've already posted about these cookies.  (If not and you want the recipe, just email me.)  I was so excited about 1) Reagan's super long morning nap and 2) pumpkin mixed with chocolate, that I couldn't even wait until October to make these:)  
They turned out exactly the way I like them (which is probably because I add almost 2xs the recommended amount of chocolate chips!).  A perfect fall treat.
And last but not least, the update on my post-partum workout life.  The Marine Corps Community Services organization is incredible.  They offer so many programs and benefits to Marine Corps families - one of which I used yesterday: the playroom at the Tarawa Terrace Fitness Center.  The playroom is a childcare facility co-located with the fitness center that charges $2/hour and a half for children ages 2 months to 10 years.  The best part is that you can peek in through the huge glass window and see your child while you're working out.  It was nice to finally go for a run without having to insert necessary walk breaks to take over stroller duty, and to get out of the house during all this rain!!!  

Between playing with Reagan, reading my current Kindle book (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest), baking goodies, and squeezing in some exercise, I'd say we're doing a decent job of keeping the cabin fever at bay.  Now if I could just stop snacking ALL afternoon, we'd be in business!








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun

Bath Time: PAHM Style