A Trip to the County Fair


There are not many things happening in J'actionville, but we do get a stream of carnies who roll in to town once a year to officially kick off my favorite season with the Onslow County Fair.  I love fairs...almost as much as I love fall.  When I was little, it was because I liked to gamble my money away on ridiculous games and even more ridiculous prizes.  When I was a bit older, it was because I loved those rickety rides that terrified you not only by the spinning and dropping, but more so by the three-toothed, neck tattooed guy operating the machine.  Now, it is because I can't wait to get my hands on whatever disgustingly greasy food the fair is currently offering.  This year the offerings included: curly fries topped with cheese, chili, and bacon bits; cheese steak with peppers & onions; corn dog (my personal favorite); pizza; and of course, funnel cake!  The fair also offered items that we did not indulge in: deep fried ______ (fill in the blank with any of the following: oreos, Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Twinkies, Reese's peanut butter cups, and elephant ears).  Basically, if you can make it, they can deep fry it.  

We didn't get a chance to ride any of the rides this year, but we did two laps of the fairgrounds and that was enough to see all we needed to see within an hour and a half.  As we turned to leave, swarms of rednecks descended upon the entrance/exit gates in search of aforementioned fried things and rickety rides.  It was perfect timing...

A tour through the award winning animals

a Frizzle Chicken - definitely picture worthy

1st place pot belly pigs

Award winning reptiles?!  Yeah, we didn't expect it either.

Messing with the aperture setting on our camera - shout out to my digital photography class!

She ordered a cheese steak, but just couldn't stay awake long enough to eat it.

"Dad ate my cheese steak, so I have to munch on my hand instead."

"Quit eyeing my monkey.  My dad won it for me!"

Comments

  1. Gosh, she looks so much like you in that last picture. Sounds like you guys had a blast! Good pics by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun