My Yoga Retreat - Part 2

The day started early with a 6am guided mediation followed by an hour and fifteen minute hatha yoga class. Then we went to breakfast. The dining hall had special tables for those who wanted to eat in silence. I've never been one for solo dining, and when those occasions do arise, I always have a book or my phone in tow. I decided to push my limits of comfort for the weekend, choosing to dine at these silent tables without any distraction. Surprisingly, it was peaceful, I ate more mindfully, and enjoyed the experience. After breakfast, we had a class with one of the resident monks on how to integrate yoga into our daily lives. The beauty of the welcome weekend was that although a schedule was provided, we were free to partake in whichever programs we desired, and skip those that didn't speak to us. After the class, instead of going to watch a video of Swami Satchidananda, I decided to go for a hike. Again, it was well below freezing, but I bundled up and headed out among the 1,000 acres of Yogaville. It was a beautiful day and I got to see quite a bit.






At one point, I decided that I should probably get in front of the camera. As you can see below, I wasn't quite successful with my first attempts:) 





The landscape was challenging at many points, offering steep inclines and icy stretches. But at one point, there was a path of bright green moss that almost looked like a carpet welcoming you along the way. 

Patches like this littered the trail. Unique ice formations sprouting from the ground...how cool!


At the top of the trail, I got picturesque view of the James River and the LOTUS.






I returned to my room, went to another yoga class and joined the group for dinner. Just outside my room, the sun was setting and I prepared for the Satsang, a group gathering that included 30 minutes of chanting and a panel on different types of love. It was Valentines weekend, so it was a timely discussion. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun

Bath Time: PAHM Style