The Perks (and drawbacks) of Being a SAHM

I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to stay home with my dear daughter, Reagan.   Over the past almost 4 months, I am discovering the perks (and drawbacks) of my new "career."  Here are my thoughts:

1. I never miss anything she does.  I was here to see her roll over for the first time; I held her hands the first time she decided to test her legs and stand up; I can watch her grow (literally) by the minute.  (I also see every spit-up, dirty diaper, booger and hiccuping fit she ever has (or will have) had.)




2. The house is much cleaner than it would be if I had to go back to work and then come home to a second job.  I can take my time throughout the day, getting laundry done and putting dishes away.  (When it rains, the house essentially becomes a prison.)

3. I can catch up on reading/crafts/etc when she's napping.  (She's not that great at napping.)

4. Now that it starts to get dark around 3:30 or 4, if I feel like having a little wine a titch earlier than usual, it's perfectly legal - unlike drinking on the job.  (People frown on daytime drinking.)

5. Other SAHMs!  I talk/text with Lynsey no less than 25 times a day.  We compare notes on what the kiddos did/didn't do, and tips we read on the internet.  We talk about other stuff too, but mostly our conversations hover around babies.  (I'm terrible at keeping in touch with my other friends.  It's ok though, I blame the baby.)

6. I can basically work out whenever I want to...provided it falls within the hours of the gym's daycare facility.  (I can also basically eat throughout the rest of the day.  And yes, I do exactly that which is why I stopped buying Oreos and other delicious treats.)

7. I can dress her up and fix her hair in the only style that works (palm-tree) and use Reagan for photography practice.  (She's not the most cooperative subject seeing as she can't sit up by herself yet:)

8. Finally, I get to play with the cutest girl in the world (I'm not biased or anything) all day!  (And there's no drawback to that!)

Comments

  1. I whole-heartedly agree! Can't wait to get to the gym though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you get to see everything she does. Though I'm leaning towards the need to have a baby to get Lynsey to answer her phone when I call, haha. J/K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny Jess! Texting is always so much easier for me... And usually when you call, I am either feeding Mason or trying to get him down for the night. I'll call soon!

    Thanks for keeping me sane, Jen! Being a SAHM is no joke but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun

Bath Time: PAHM Style