Summer Fun...sort of...

Reagan and I had good intentions of hitting the beach today, but real life got in the way:(  On Wednesday afternoon, my friends Rich and his son Joe were hanging out in the backyard with Reagan and me.  I volunteered to watch my friend's dog for the week, so Haley (a german shepherd mix) and Tommy were playing with us too.  Rich's wife Laura returned from a dental appointment with some Chinese food for his lunch.  We all sat on the deck while he ate and the kids tasted some rice.  As is the case with dogs, Tommy and Haley were underfoot from the first smell of people food.  In the process of eating the chicken and rice, a few crumbs fell to the ground.  Tommy started eating them immediately.  Haley tried to get her portion and within a few seconds, there was a snarl from Tommy as he lurched forward at Haley who yelped and retreated.  I scolded Tommy and looked at Haley.  I thought I saw a bit of blood on her nose and as I went to further investigate, she shook her head and drops of blood flew everywhere!  Tommy had bitten her ear and there was a hole through the top.  Laura took care of the kids while Rich and I attended to Haley.  Unable to stop the bleeding, I called the vet and scheduled an appointment.  I piled Haley and Reagan into the car and headed into Jacksonville.  The vet looked at Haley and decided that she didn't think stitches were necessary.  (At this point, I should have contacted my Mil for her input.  The same thing happened to her dog and she could have saved me lots of time and money!)  Well, the vet bandaged up Haley's head, put a cone around her neck and sent us on our way.  


We returned to the vet on Friday morning, and they removed the bandage.  At first the vet said it was looking good and we could probably just bandage it up for a few more days.  Ha!  5 minutes later, she came back in saying that the wound was actually worse and would definitely require stitches.  After several phone calls to the owner and passing the phone back and forth with the vet, Haley stayed at the animal hospital for pre-anesthesia blood work, anesthesia, and stitches.  This is the moment our beach plan was foiled.  Instead, we returned home and wonder of wonders, I managed to get a sleeping Reagan from the car into her crib where she napped for 2 hours!  (Again, I think babies know when you just need them to be extra good!)  As a consolation, we decided to don bathing suits and hit the backyard for some sprinkler action!

Don't let her serious face fool you...she was having fun:)

Reagan had a blast playing in the water in her new swimsuit and reusable swim diaper.  Now it hasn't been tested in a pool yet, but the swim diaper did it's job today.  Yes folks, she pooped and not a bit leaked out!  It wasn't all that pleasant to clean, but after a quick wash, it was good as new.  I'll let you know how it goes in the pool after Memorial Day.  

We are returning to the vet at 5:30 to pick up Haley.  Hopefully this will do the trick and she'll be back to her happy self in no time.  Go figure, you think you're helping a friend and saving her some money by watching her dog, and this happens!  Yikes!  
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Cute pictures of Reagan. Glad she had a good time and that the reuseable diaper worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute bathing beauty! I'm glad you both got a chance to have a little fun after the "excitement" of the day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun

Bath Time: PAHM Style