A little bit of color...

Recently, I made a trip to Lowe's and found myself browsing the paint department.  This is always a bad idea.  Painting always sounds like a great idea...until you actually start!  I've got lots of free time though, so I decided, "What the heck, I'll paint Reagan's bathroom."

Easy, right?  Nope.  They say that bathrooms and kitchens are the most difficult rooms to paint.  Whoever "they" are, "they" are right on the money.  First I started by removing the pictures, fixtures, and mirror.  Then I got busy taping the ceiling, baseboards, and any other surfaces that did not require paint.  This took a mere 45 minutes:)  I actually considered not taping this time around and just being "really careful."  Thank goodness I came to my senses and realized just what a bad idea THAT would have been!

Sure it doesn't look like much, but trust me, it was a job in and of itself.  Sorry for the poor lighting in the second picture.

Next, I got busy painting the trim...my least favorite part.  I poured some paint into a small plastic bowl and climbed all over the countertop/toilet/bathtub/step stool to get it done.  Once I finished, it was after 11pm and I retired for the night, only to wake up the following day and realize that yellow definitely requires 2 coats!

My spur of the moment choice of color...sunny!

Such a tedious job.  I think I may have carpal tunnel syndrome from holding the brush for so long!

So much trim work!

Whatever you do, don't strain to look behind the toilet.  I truly believe it's impossible to get all the way back there!

The following night, after calling FIL to verify some painting questions, I got to work on the second coat of the trim.  It actually went much more quickly this time around.  Then, I broke out the pan and roller and started on the larger sections of the walls.  I rolled out two coats in no time at all and was quite pleased with the result.  

So cheerful!

Yes, I painted behind the mirror.  No, I have no idea why!

And after letting the paint dry over the weekend while we were in Raleigh, I got to work Sunday evening pulling off the tape.  Now I've painted 2 full rooms and 1 additional wall in our house.  I know that you should always use a blade to cut through the paint and tape to avoid pulling off any chunks of paint.  Did I make the trek downstairs to get said blade...of course not.  Did I regret it?!  YES!  After pulling a HUGE chunk of paint from the wall above the shower, I immediately went down to the garage to retrieve the box cutter.  It took less than a minute.  I should have started with it:)  All in all, I'm happy and I think Reagan likes it.  Now we just have to email the pictures to Jason to see what he thinks!




It looks a bit brighter in the pictures than it does in person.  Guess I'll have to work on my indoor photography skills.  

Comments

  1. Looks great. I hate painting but thankfully B doesn't seem to mind it. I will recommend Frog Tape (it's green) over the blue painters tape. It pulls off easily w/out pulling paint off with it. It's the only tape we use, if we use any at all. Certainly worth the money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NC Girls' Weekend

Bath Time Fun

Bath Time: PAHM Style